Five Spice Bean Burger is a burger with beans as the basic ingredient. The flavors are added in with Five Spice powder also called as Chinese Five spice powder. Preparing Fresh Five spice powder is very easy. It has Cinnamon, Cloves, Fennel, Star anise and peppercorns. They are roasted slightly and powdered fresh. These fresh spices are very flavorful and blend well with the beans.
For making Five spice powder:
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 large star anise
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
(Roast all the ingredients on low heat until aroma comes out, cool down and powder finely)
- 7 oz can Great Northern beans
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- salt to taste
- 3 hamburger buns
- Cheese slices as needed
- 2 tablespoon mayo or as needed
- Mixed Greens / Lettuce leaves as needed
- To start making Five Spice Bean Burger, drain the beans to a medium bowl, reserving the liquid. Mash the beans using a fork or potato masher.
- Add bread crumbs, egg, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, cilantro, five spice powder with required salt. Mix all the ingredients until the burger holds together. If needed add a little from the reserved bean liquid but it should not become too wet.
- Divide the batter to 3 equal portions and shape into patties. Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until a crisp crust forms on both sides. Place the cheese slice on the top of cooked burger, once it starts to melt, switch off and remove to a plate. Meanwhile, warm up the burger buns in a 300'F oven for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Spread mayo on each warm burger bun. Start layering the burger by adding lettuce then layer the cooked burger patties and cover with the top burger bun. Serve warm.