Scones are sold in the bakery on a regular basis as they are a great coffee snack or a tea time treat. They are served savory and sweet. They are perfect to side for breakfast menus; Grab and go breakfast we can say. Here we are trying a variation by adding some cheese and fresh herbs to the regular scones recipe. Serve them with some home made fresh fruit syrup or just with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter(frozen solid)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mixed herbs (basil, cilantro, rosemary, dill, sage, chives)
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- To start making Parmesan and Fresh Herbs Savory Scones, Heat your oven to 400'F. Position the oven rack to the lower-middle position. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Grate 1/3rd of the solid cold butter using large holes of a grater into the flour mixture. Toss to coat with flour. Repeat the process until the batter is completed grated.
- Work butter and flour well together. Mix in the cheese and fresh herbs. Stir well.
- In a small bowl, mix the heavy cream, milk and egg with a fork until smooth. Add the heavy cream and egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Stir with a fork until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough to the sides of the bowl to form a ball. Do not add any additional cream or water.
- As you press, the dough will come together. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and pat round to 3/4 inch thickness and 7 inch diameter. Use a knife and cut the dough into 8 wedges. Arrange them with an inch of space apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden. Cool down by transferring to a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.