Onion Rava Dosa is a simple variation to the very famous rava dosa, as name says this recipe has onion inside. There is no grinding or fermentation required in this dosa so it is quick and easy to prepare at any time. The batter for this super crispy dosa is prepared by just mixing all the required ingredients just 10 to 15 minutes ahead of preparation. Serve this with regular mint/coconut chutney and sambar.
- 1/2 cup roasted rava
- 1/2 cup roasted rice flour
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 cup shallots/onion, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tablespoon peppercorns
- handful of finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon torn curry leaves
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk / Water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut
- salt to taste
- To start making Onion Rava Dosa, in a tempering pan heat oil. Add cumin seeds and let it sizzle. Switch off the stove and add grated coconut and roast.
- In a medium bowl add rava, rice flour, all purpose flour, green chillies, peppercorns, torn curry leaves, coriander leaves, roasted cumin and coconut with required salt, stir well.
- Add the buttermilk little by little and keep stirring until combined. The dosa batter should be watery and let the batter sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat a non stick dosa tawa. Sprinkle water and if it sizzles its perfectly hot.
- Sprinkle some finely chopped onion on the tawa. Now pour a laddle full of batter from the border to inside of the tawa over the onions. Let the dosa roast on medium low flame until brown and crispy from the bottom.
- Rava dosa needs to be cooked on one side, so fold and serve once its ready.