If you are a pasta lover and totally interested in adding up a vegetarian variation then this recipe is for you. Eggplant Caponata is a dip that is served cold with toasted pita chips or with taco chips. Here is the recipe with loaded flavors like the dip but totally a entree that can be served for meat free weeknight dinners. With ingredients in your pantry this pasta can be prepared and served without much time consumption. Lets proceed to see this easy and flavorful pasta recipe.
For cooking pasta:
- 250 grams of uncooked penne pasta
- Water as needed to cook pasta
- salt as needed
(Reserve 1/4 cup of water after cooking pasta)
For the Eggplant Caponata sauce:
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin olive oil
- 4 small Indian Eggplant, diced
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt as needed
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pasta cooked water
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Begin by heating a pot of required water for cooking pasta. When water starts to boil add salt, pasta and stir well to avoid pasta from sticking to bottom. Maintain the heat at medium high and let pasta cook in the boiling water. After about 8 to 10 minutes check the pasta consistency. It should look firm but also cooked completely. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta cooked water for later and drain the remaining. Keep the cooked penne pasta aside.
- On the side start making the Eggplant Caponata Sauce by heating a skillet with some Extra virgin olive oil. Add garlic and saute until the smell goes off. Add chopped onions and lower the heat to medium allowing onions to cook until its translucent.
- Add diced Indian Eggplant and increase the heat to medium high. Let the eggplant cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sides starts to crip and golden. Add the tomatoes, sugar, required salt, Italian herbs, Red chili flakes, ground black pepper. Stir everything together and cook until eggplant is cooked throughly.
- Now add the reserved pasta water, red bell pepper and olives. stir well and cook on medium high heat until everything is combined and little saucy. Add the cooked pasta and stir well. switch of the stove and add parmesan cheese. Stir well and serve.