Vegetable soups are always a great choice of side for a meal. Roasted Cauliflower and Carrot Creamy Vegetable Soup can be served along a simple salad or sandwich or as a nice starter. The best way to bring in more flavors to the soup is by roasting the vegetables that is to be added in.
When the vegetables are roasted with enough salt, spice and sweetness they intensify the flavors as they cook, which automatically results in a flavorful soup. Choice of vegetables is up to you, here we use cauliflower and carrot together. Evaporated milk intensifies the creaminess in the soup. Its a great soup for kids as the vegetables are completely pureed.
- 1/2 pound cauliflower, cleaned, cut into large florets
- 1/2 pound carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup of celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, cut into large dice
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 1/2 quart vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- To start making Roasted Cauliflower and Carrot Creamy Vegetable Soup, preheat the oven to 400'F. Cover the baking tray with foil paper. Toss the cauliflower and carrot with olive oil, generous amount of salt and pepper along with palm sugar. Spread out on the prepared baking tray and roast them until golden brown turning once. This might take 25 to 30 minutes. Once ready keep aside.
- Meanwhile heat the butter in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the ground cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, roasted vegetables and cook for couple of minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to boil. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Work in batches, transfer the vegetable mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Return to the soup pot and stir in the evaporated milk. Add water if necessary to thin the consistency of the soup. Check for salt and pepper. Heat through and serve hot.