Macaroni and Cheese also known as Mac and Cheese is a dish prepared with cooked macaroni pasta and sauce made with flour, few other ingredients and lot of cheese. Its a very popular dish among kids. Its a comfort food loved by all. Its popularity is so much that you will find that as a dish available in any restaurant under the kids menu in the United States.
For the sauce:
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk(please do not substitute)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
For Mac and Cheese:
- 1/4 pound dried elbow pasta
- 1 cup prepared sauce
- 3/4 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- water and salt enough to cook pasta
- To start making Homemade Mac and Cheese, in a sauce pan heat the milk over medium heat until it starts to bubble, not boiling. This might take 5 minutes, remove from the heat.
- In a separate heavy bottomed pot heat the butter over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk constantly until the mixture turns slight brown, this will take 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Slowly pour the warm milk little by little into the butter flour mixture, whisking constantly. It gets thinner as we add the remaining milk. Once all the milk is added and whisked well to combine, set the pot back over medium high heat and continue to whisk constantly. In 2 to 3 minutes the sauce will come together and become silky and thick. Add the salt and stir once. Switch off.
- Meanwhile on the side, cook the pasta in salted boiling water so as to be firm when bitten. Drain and rinse the pasta with cold water and drain again.
- Add the cheddar and Pecorino cheese to the prepared sauce and cook over medium heat. Stir until cheese is melted. Slowly add the cooked pasta and stir. Cook until the pasta is hot and steaming for another 5 minutes. Spoon into bowls and enjoy.