Burrito is a type of Mexican food consisting of wheat flour tortillas stuffed with vegetables, meat, rice, beans, greens, cheese and wrapped or folded to form a cylindrical shape. General combinations include meat but here we are going to create a healthy version using Amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat and black bean. This is a cheesy healthy variation that can be served for lunch or dinner. Side with some spicy sauce or chips.
For cooking grains:
- 1/2 cup mixed grains(amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat)
- 1 cup water
- salt as needed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
For cooking black beans:
- 4 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- water as needed to pressure cook
- salt as needed
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
For Arranging the burrito:
- 3 medium flour tortillas
- sour cream as needed
- cooked black beans
- cooked grains
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup steamed sweet corn
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese or any cheese of your choice
- 2 teaspoon sweet spicy mango pickle or any sauce of your choice
- To start making Amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, black bean stuffed burritos, in a sauce pan boil 1 cup of water with required salt, add and stir mixed grains. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 15 minutes or until grains are cooked by absorbing the water completely. Once done switch off and add one teaspoon of olive oil and fluff using a fork, keep aside.
- Meanwhile add the beans with garlic, required water and salt, pressure cook upto 3 to 4 whistles or until beans are tender and cooked. Drain the water and run through cold water, strain and keep aside.
- Warm up the tortillas and keep them wrapped in a cotton kitchen towel. In a medium bowl add the cooked grains, cooked beans, chopped coriander, chopped bell pepper, steamed corn, olive oil and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Place the tortilla on the work floor, take a big scoop of prepared beans grain mixture and spread evenly.
- Spread half teaspoon sweet spicy mango pickle and add a dollop of sour cream on the top. sprinkle some shredded cheese.
- Fold the sides inside first and then roll over the burritos. Serve immediately.