Pad Thai is a famous street food from Thailand. This is a recipe with some noodles, stir fried eggs, tofu flavored with Fish sauce along with some vegetables. Vegetarian version is substituted with soy sauce. It adds in nuttiness with some peanuts. It is another world known dish from Thailand. A whole meal by itself with proteins, nutrients and sweet and spicy flavors.
For Pad Thai:
- 4 oz extra firm tofu
- 4 oz dry rice noodles
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 bunch scallion, roughly chopped
- 4 oz bean sprouts
- 2 large eggs, scrambled cooked separately with salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- cilantro for garnish
- salt and pepper as needed
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- To start making Vegetarian Pad thai, drain the tofu and place on a plate, top up with another plate and a weight. Set aside until use to press out liquid.
- Boil some water in a sauce pan, switch off and add the noodles. Cover and let stand until soft or for about 7 minutes, drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix soya sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes together, keep aside.
- Heat up a non stick skillet over high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and add onions. Stir fry until the onion is brown.
- Cut the pressed tofu in bite size cubes, add the tofu and cook for couple of minutes or until slightly brown.
- Stir in garlic, scallions, bean sprouts, salt and pepper to taste and fry the vegetables for a couple of minutes.
- Add the scrambled eggs into the vegetable tofu mixture and stir to combine. Switch off the flame.
- Add the prepared soy sauce mixture and toss to coat, transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet heat another tablespoon oil, add noodles and stir fry for 2 minutes. Return the vegetable mixture to the skillet and stir fry until heated thoroughly. Transfer to the serving bowl. Squeeze lime, sprinkle chopped peanuts and cilantro and serve.