This is a simple vegetarian chili recipe using Horse gram lentils. The mild spices give this chili a wonderful flavor. Horse gram has a meaty texture that is perfect when it is served in the form of chili for tacos. Our family loves Mexican food. I don't cook beef at home but love them in tacos alone. This vegetarian chili is a variation.
My hubby was so happy after I served him this recipe for dinner, he was totally into it. My little one had her dinner with no complaints at all. I was a happy mom in the end. You will love this no matter what - for sure :).
Ingredients: (Serves 4 people)
For Cooking Horse gram:
- 1 cup Horse gram lentils, cleaned, soaked for 1 hour in hot water
- 3 cups water
- Salt as needed
For making Chili Lentils:
- Precooked Horse gram lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Heat up some hot water and soak the horse gram for about 1 hour. Chop the vegetables and keep ready.
- Add the soaked horse gram with required salt and 3 cups of water in the pressure cooker. Cook the lentils for up to 5 whistles.
- Open the cooker once the pressure is completely down and strain the lentils, save 1/2 cup of juice.
- Take a wide pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the tomatoes along with chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, black pepper and cook until tomatoes are tender.
- Add in the lentils with the saved juice, reduce the heat to low and cook until liquid has evaporated. Adjust the seasoning, including a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Serve this on hard tacos or tortillas topping up with some lentils and cheese.