Pear is one fruit that is commonly poached in Wine. This is a healthy way of using pears to make desserts. We are using coconut milk to poach them and they are truly delicious. Serve them warm as desserts for special evenings. Poaching a fruit means cooking it in a simmering liquid to absorb the flavors. Now the liquid you use can be anything depending on the flavors. Apples and Pears are some of the best fruits that absorb the flavors when poached. Many love pears poached in wine, from the color to flavor they look amazing when served warm or cold. This recipe uses coconut milk with cinnamon and cardamom flavors for the liquid.
Ingredients: (Serves 2 people)
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (substitute regular sugar)
- 2 small soft pears
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 cardamon
- 1 tablespoon shaved almonds
- Peel the skin of pears keeping the stem.Place the coconut milk, sugar, cinnamon, cardamon in a saucepan over low heat.
- When the mixture is warm add the pears with shaved almonds and cook for 20 minutes, stirring the pear once(please do not let it boil or the milk will separate) and switch off.
- Take a serving bowl, place the pear, pour the coconut broth, topping some shaved almonds and serve.