February 1, 2015

Iced Coffee | Iced Coffee using flavored Simple Syrup




           After a fun day making chocolate cupcakes together with my 3 year old and eating some or many for our lunch, we were tired. It was 3pm, she was on bed for her afternoon nap and I was ready to watch my favorite Ellen Degenerous show and all of a sudden I was craving for a drink. Went to my fridge to pick up the decoction I brewed using my Indian Coffee powder the day before. All of a sudden I felt like drinking the coffee cold. I had some rose flavored syrup left over from Gulab Jamun I made a week ago and got ready for a chill experience. Took a glass, poured milk and the decoction, added some simple syrup, stirred and added ice cubes - the most deliciously flavored Iced Coffee was ready in no time.






           For anyone who thinks of throwing your gulab jamun syrup-here is a request, please don't, because that is one flavorful simple syrup that goes with your regular tea or coffee instead of sugar. I am so happy today that I made my little one happy by fulfilling her wish to make her own cupcakes and me just helping. With a satisfied heart, enjoyed my afternoon with wonderful flavors of cardamon and rose filled Iced coffee - a fun filled sipping treat :).


Ingredients: (Coffee Serves 2 people) 


For Simple Syrup: (To stock)
  • Sugar - 1Cup
  • Water - 1 Cup
  • Cardamon - 2 small pods (opened)
  • Rose Essence - 4 drops or Rose syrup - 1/4 teaspoon

For Iced Coffee:
  • Whole Milk - 2 cups (Chilled)
  • Strongly Brewed Coffee - 1/4 to 1/2 cup (Chilled)
  • Simple Syrup - 3 Teaspoon (Chilled)
  • Ice cubes - 1 cup
(I prepared Strongly Brewed Coffee using 1 cup of water and 4 heaped tablespoons of Folger's Medium Coffee blend and refrigerated it. Have tried both with Indian and American Style brewing. For the best Iced coffee it is always important to keep all the ingredients very cold. We can Increase or Decrease the sweetness according to our needs. Add more coffee if you need it stronger. Please do not store brewed coffee decoction in the refrigerator for more than 2 days. Simple Syrup can be stored for 2 to 3 months in refrigerator and can be used for many other recipes too)


Method:

For Making Simple Syrup:
  • In a pot, mix Sugar, Water, Cardamon together. Keep the pot on fire and cook until you get a thick syrup consistency. Remove from fire before one thread consistency is starting to form. Add Rose essence and stir well. When it reaches room temperature transfer that to a clean glass bowl and refrigerate. This can be stored for 2 to 3 months.

For Making Iced Coffee:
  • Take a pitcher, mix Milk, Coffee Decoction, Simple Syrup, stir well and check for sweetness. Pour that to a tall glass half filled with ice cubes and enjoy.