Brownies - This particular word brings out the child in me. I love to bake, eat and serve them. Having a little one along is more excitement as she is a "Chocolate Brownie" lover too. She is always interested to help especially when its Brownies.
Now how I make this addiction healthy is what matters. Well - not a big secret, I make sure to add some vegetables like Carrot, Beets, Squash and make some healthy substitutions like applesauce, Greek Yogurt etc. Check out one such recipe of mine here with beets - Beetroot Brownies. Trust me both the recipes will be a keeper when it comes to healthy and kid friendly snack recipes. In the end chocolate is the one word that would make this "Brownie" more sweeter so I never avoid that :).
Ingredients: (Yields 9 serving pieces)
- Greek Yogurt - 3/4 Cup (I used Chobani Greek Yogurt)
- Whole Milk - 1/4 cup (Substitute Skim / 2%/ 1% milk too)
- Apple Sauce - 2/3 cup (I used homemade applesauce)
- Egg - 1 no
- Whole Wheat Flour - 1/4 cup
- Rolled Oats - 1/4 cup
- Cocoa Powder - 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons
- Baking Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - 1 pinch
- Chocolate Chips - 1/4 cup (Optional to use)
(If you prefer remove the batter to a bowl and add about 1/4 cup of Chia Seeds or Flax Seeds and stir well. If you love Nuts then add some like Pecans or Walnuts for added flavor and taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 375'F. Grease and line a parchment paper in a 9x8 inch square pan. Combine all the ingredients in your Food processor and blend everything until smooth.
- Pour this batter into the prepared square pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pricking with a tooth pick will show some crumbles. Cool down completely and cut them to required pieces.