Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with a bowl of soup is another favorite recipe in America. Sometimes you forget your weight or calorie management and just fall on to these sandwiches - trust me they are that tasty. Simple recipe prepared quite easily. Well, classic recipes simply add buttered bread with a pile of cheese and grill or toast on a griddle but as time changed the way people taste different varieties, we see versions of melting cheese sandwiches with stuffed vegetables or meat too.
These sandwiches are too good to taste, with the crisp crunchiness outside because of the butter on the bread after toasting and then the gooey layer of cheese after melting - oh its a magic happening inside our mouth as we take our bites. I am a fan of mushroom so I did fill in some sauteed mushrooms inside to offset the cheese's richness. So go on and make this super comfort food in no time.
Ingredients: (Serves 2 people)
- White Sandwich Bread - 4 slices (Bread should be at least 1/2 inch thick so to avoid from getting soggy)
- Cheddar cheese - 1/4 pound (White or Yellow / Grated)
- Egg - 2 no's (One per person)
- Butter - 5 teaspoon (At room temperature)
- Button Mushroom - 4 oz (Chopped)
- Salt - as needed
- Pepper - as needed
- Take a pan, Heat a teaspoon of butter and saute Mushrooms with salt and pepper until soft and brown, Keep aside. Beat eggs with salt and pepper and make a round omlette on a griddle, keep aside.
- Butter generously on one side of all four slices and keep the butter side down on a clean work surface. Fill grated cheese on 2 slices, layer sauteed mushrooms, Omlette and top with some more cheese. Cover with the remaining slice of bread and press slightly.
- Heat the Griddle on medium low heat. Once its slightly hot, place the sandwich and close with a lid. Let the cheese melt, remove the lid and cook sandwich until its golden brown, Flip the sandwich and let it go to golden brown color. Remove it from skillet and cut each slice diagonally and serve immediately.
- Cheddar cheese is mostly used so go for white or sharp cheddar too. Go for Monetary Jack or Swiss if you wish. Select the cheese that will melt evenly.
- Adding a pickle along will also help you to offset the cheese.
- The heat of griddle or skillet is extremely important. Place the griddle on medium low heat and place the sandwich. Remove the cover once the cheese melts. Flip only after the first side is golden brown in color.
- To make it more crispy, place a sandwich press on sandwich while cooking and press slightly.
Happy To link this recipe with Haffa's "Back to School Lunch Ideas Event"
Check the links below for more Melted Cheese Sandwich recipes from other Comfort Food Feast Friends of Food Network
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Lighted Up Croque Monsieur Grilled Cheese
Blue Apron Blog: The Tastiest Grilled Cheese Fillings
Weelicious: Grilled Cheese and Pickle Panini
Devour: Kelsey's Decadent Grilled Cheese
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Inside Out Grilled Strawberry and Cheese Sandwiches
Daily*Dishin: Grilled Pimento Cheese with Instant Pickles
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Pork Stew in Port Wine Sauce with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Red or Green: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Three Pepper Cheese, Grilled Onions and Pickled Jalapenos
Dishing With Divya: Egg and Mushroom Cheese Sandwich
Domesticate Me: Barbecue Chicken Grilled Cheese
Taste With The Eyes: Bulgogi Panino with Kimchi, Cheddar and Ssamjang Mayo
Virtually Homemade: Creamy Roasted Tomato and Basil Grilled Cheese with Bacon
The Sensitive Epicure: Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Apple, Walnuts and Thyme (Gluten-Free)
FN Dish: 10 Grown-Up Grilled Cheeses