As weekend nears, my refrigerator needs to be filled up - yes I run out of vegetables and use it as an excuse in my weekend to hop in and out of shops to purchase :). But potatoes and spinach are stocked in my kitchen most of the time. When I run out of ideas they save my day.
Basically any Indian home cannot run without Tomatoes and Onions. They are our curry basics but during vrath(fast) times we do make wonderful recipes without Onion and Tomatoes such as this. It is healthy as it has large amounts of greens inside. Sided with Roti or Daal Rice they are a super yummy dish.
Ingredients: (Serves 2 people)
- Potato - 1 large (Diced)
- Spinach - 4 heaped cups (3 times handful, Roughly chopped)
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 teaspoon (Optional)
- Oil - 4 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder - 1-1/4 teaspooon
- Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
- Dry Mango Powder - 1/4 teaspoon (Optional)
- Salt - as needed
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and allow to splatter. Reduce flame and add cumin seeds, asafoetida. Add diced potatoes with required salt. Cover and let it cook until potatoes are 90% done.
- When they are soft, add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute on medium flame. Add Chopped spinach. Stir well and let it settle, get soft and cook(Please do not cover with lid). When water oozes out from spinach or they look soft, add chilli powder and coriander powder. Stir well and let to cook for 2 minutes. Check for salt.
- When the oil starts to ooze out slightly, add mango powder, stir once and switch off. Serve with hot Roti's or Rice.