After I started an interest in blogging I am trying my best to prepare recipes at home from scratch and that is how I ended up making this Pasta sauce. I added more herbs to increase the flavour. This was a good change from the usual Tomato base sauces available in store. With loaded flavor of Basil and Oregano this can also be used for pizza base sauce or for making spaghetti & meatballs too.
Tomato - 3 cups(Chunky chopped)
Garlic - 10 pods(big one)
Salt - as needed(I used about 1/2 teaspoon)
Sugar - 1 teaspoon
Fresh Basil - Hand Full
Fresh Oregano - Hand Full
Olive Oil - 3 tablespoon
- In a sauce pan, heat olive oil and add ginger. Saute for a minute(don't let it go brown).
- Add tomatoes, salt and sugar and saute until tomatoes are cooked.
- Add Basil and oregano and saute for a minute. Switch off the stove and cool down.
- Blend to a fine paste in blender.
- Heat the same sauce pan and add back the paste and boil until it reaches the spreading consistency.
- Switch off and use directly on the pizza batter or on pasta. If planning to store, then cool down completely and store in a glass bottle for further use. Do refrigerate it.
- Add pepper and ginger if you wish to add spice to your sauce.
- We can adjust the ingredients according to our choice and reducing the herbs will result in more reddish color for the sauce.
- If Basil and oregano are unavailable we can substitute with mint and coriander leaves. Have not tried this version but will let you know if I do.
- Please store the remaining sauce in a glass bowl as tomato paste increases acidity inside any other type of container.
- I wanted to keep the skin of tomatoes but if needed you can blanch the tomatoes and add that to blender with remaining ingredients and blend the first time.
Here are some other great Tomato recipes by my Summer Fest Friends...
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Juicy Summer Heirloom Tomato Fruit Salad
Taste With The Eyes: Pomodorini e Mozzarella Ciliegine
The Sensitive Epicure: Tiny Insalata Caprese
Weelicious: Heirloom Tomato Pico de Gallo
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Slow-Roasted Tomatoes with Bruschetta
Red or Green?: Nachos with Fresh Tomatoes, Pinto Beans and Chiles
Domesticate Me: Spaghetti with Cherry Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella and Basil
Blue Apron Blog: Marjoram-Garlic Chicken with Jersey Tomato Panzanella
The Heritage Cook: Caprese Salad and Caprese Pizza
Daily*Dishin: Garden Vegetable Fresh Pasta Sauce
Pinch My Salt: 20 Tomato Recipes
Feed Me Phoebe: Bloody Marias
Dishin & Dishes: Pesto Rosso (Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto)
Devour: Five Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipes
FN Dish: Tomato Recipes Worthy of a Dinner Party