There is a funny story behind this bake. We got a good offer from a grocery store where all the organic produce were 1/2 priced for Earth Day and on top of that we got a coupon through Groupon for "Pay $20 for $40 purchase" for the same shop. So, eventually everything was 1/4th of the price. How could we miss this deal ? Me and my friend rushed to the shop and filled the cart with as much as we could, guess what, the cashier rang everything and said we still had about $18 left in the coupon :)
We started the second round, brought another cart and emptied all organic fruits and veggies in the small store there. Eventually, we bought $80 worth of produce for just $20..!! Why did i share this story - well the recipe was due to an overstock of apples at home :) These muffins were so soft for the next day and had a shelf life for 2 days and more in the refrigerator. They are not too sweet like our Low-fat Banana muffins but you can increase sugar by 1/2 cup in total to make them sweeter.
Whole Wheat flour - 1-2/3 cups
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder - 1 teaspoon
Apple pureed - 2 cups (Peel apples and grind to paste. the paste should measure 1-1/2 cups)
Apple chopped finely - 2/3 cup(chopped to size of small raisins)
Milk - 2/3 cup
Egg - 2 no's
Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and keep aside.
- Beat eggs and oil together.
- Mix apple puree and milk together in a mixer and add that to the egg mix.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and bring everything together. add chopped apples finally and mix well.
- Pre-heat oven to 350'F for 5 minutes. Arrange the Muffin molds with paper liners or grease the molds. I got exactly 12 medium muffins for the above ingredients. Fill about 3/4 of the batter in the molds.
- Bake them for 25 to 30 minutes(it took me exactly 30 minutes) or until toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let them rest in the molds for 10 minutes and later remove them to wire rack for cooling.
- Serve them for Breakfast or for Tea/Coffee time snacks.
- Substitutes for Whole wheat flour is APF and apple puree can be apple juice too.
- Butter can be added instead of vegetable oil completely or up to 1/8 cup for the above ingredients to get the muffins softer.
Happy To link this recipe with Haffa's "Back to School Lunch Ideas Event"