Making Banana Milkshake for my hubby's breakfast is easy but if the banana's are well riped and with black spots then I don't prefer them for milkshakes. Rather I love to bake some muffins out of them. They are super easy to make and filling when you eat them for breakfast or for your tea time.
We can make them and store for 2 to 3 days so naturally helps you in setting your breakfast table ready in no time. For people with roller-skates in their feet in the morning like my hubby, these muffins lend a big hand in avoiding excuses for a bowl of cheerios ;). My basic recipe reference is from Joyofbaking.com. Thank you Stephanie. I changed some ingredients to make it a low fat version.
Bread Flour / APF - 1 cup
Wheat Flour - 2/3 cup
Granulated Sugar / Brown Sugar - 1/4 cup
Banana - 5 no's (Big one and well ripped)
Baking Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Egg - 2 no's or 3 egg whites
Homemade Curd - 1/4 cup (Low fat)
Butter - 1/8 cup (Melted)
Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
Vanilla Extract - 1 teaspoon
(I used Bread flour,Granulated sugar,Curd,Egg in my recipe here. We can very well substitute "or" options i have given like APF(All purpose flour),Brown Sugar,Butter milk, Egg whites)
- Take a bowl and mix Bread flour,Wheat flour,Sugar,Baking powder,salt and keep aside.
- Take another bowl and whisk eggs with vanilla extract,olive oil and butter and keep aside.
- Mash the bananas using fork.
- Add curd to the banana mixture, stir well.
- Now to the banana mixture add the egg mix and stir from all sides.
- To the flour bowl add the egg-banana mix and stir from all sides. we need to bring everything together, so its easy.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350`F for 10 minutes.Keep your muffin molds ready with paper liners or grease the molds.
- Fill the 3/4th of your mold or paper cup with batter. I got exactly 12 medium muffin cups of batter for the ingredients mentioned.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes(it took me 30 minutes) or until the tooth pick comes clean when pricked in the middle of a muffin. The smell is amazing when they are getting baked.
- Let the muffin remain in the same tray for 10 minutes. Remove them to cooling rack after that.
- Enjoy them for your breakfast or for your evening cup of Tea/Coffee.
- I prefer well ripped bananas (almost with black spots or after turning black) because they are sweet naturally and helps us to use less sugar. If you want your muffins to be half white then go for normal riped bananas.
- We can store the well riped bananas in refrigerator to avoid it from spoiling and changing its taste when planning to make muffins for the next day.
- 1/4 teaspoon of Baking soda can be added if you want your muffins to be more soft and bulged.
- Mashing the banana's are better options than grating or making them to small pieces. This can be taken as basic recipe and substituted with carrot,apple,pear,beetroot,squash.
- Usage of wheat would make your muffins a bit greasy.
- Chopped Walnuts,Raisins,Almonds,Pista,Cashew's or chocolate chips can also be used to increase the crunch and flavor. We can also insert a chip of chocolate in the center and bake them like molten banana muffins to play with creativity.
- Canola,Vegetable,Sunflower oil can also be used instead of Olive oil. Butter can also be avoided completely if substituted with same measurement of oil but it reduces the softness of your muffins.
- Resting time on baking tray and on cooling rack is important else muffins might get stuck to much to your paper liner.
- The muffins remain crunchy on top if consumed on the same day but it can be stored for two days if refrigerated in a air tight container.