Avocado is one fruit that gets ripe real fast. I buy them in a small pack to treat as snack for my little one but end up wasting as they get over ripe. Thanks to my blog - today am using the ingredients to make new things of my choice like using the over ripe avocados for making loaf cake.
Avocados give the cake creaminess. The cake inside is light green and golden outside crunch simply melts us down. I got my outer crust a bit crunchy but inside the cake it was extremely soft. After a day the outer layer also became soft. With the flavor of avocado this was really a wonderful snack cake. They are light in sweetness and texture. I am happy that my own recipe was absolutely satisfactory.
All purpose flour - 1-1/2 cups
Sugar -1/2 cup
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
Salt - 1/4 teaspooon
Avocado - 1 medium sized (2/3 cup when mashed)
Eggs - 2 no's
Warm Milk - 1/2 cup (i used Low fat)
Olive oil - 1/4 cup
Butter - 1/8 cup(Melted)
Vanilla Extract / Almond Extract - 1/2 teaspoon
Chopped Almonds and Raisins - 1/4 cup (together)
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under "Dry ingredients" list above in a bowl.
- Whisk egg and vanilla extract in a bowl. Add melted butter and olive oil to this and whisk again.
- Add warm milk to the egg mixture and whisk well. Mash avocados and add to the egg mixture.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir well from all sides to bring everything together. Add chopped almonds and raisins and stir well.
- Preheat oven to 350'F for 10 minutes. Grease your Loaf pan/Cake pan. Pour the mixture and let it sit for a minute.
- Place the loaf pan in the middle rack of your oven and bake them for 45 to 50 minutes(it took me exactly 50 minutes).
- Remove them and let it sit in the same loaf pan for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from your loaf pan and shift to cooling rack.
- Slice and serve them for your break fast or tea time :).
- Bread flour/Almond flour/Coconut flour/Wheat flour can be substituted for All purpose flour.
- Milk can be substituted with curd / Buttermilk.
- We can add banana along with avocados. They are a perfect combination that go together.
- We can bake them in muffin holders to make avocado muffins too.
- 1/4 teaspoon of Baking soda can be added to the above ingredients to make the muffins fluffy.
- I used Loaf pan of 8.4 in x4.4 in x 2.5 in size. This was a small loaf pan and that is also one reason that it took long time to bake. Set less time according to the size of baking pan used.