Every time I cook something with chicken or plan to prepare some gravy, I want that to taste different but still satisfying my hubby. This was one such try again. Eventually I was left licking my pan because of the taste :). It gets thicker sometime after cooking, so goes well with roti/naan.
Chicken - 1-1/2 Lb / 500 Grams (Cut to your required size)
Onion - 1-1/2 cups (Finely chopped)
Tomato - 2/3 cup (Finely chopped)
Green chilli - 2 no's
Garlic - 4 pods (Finely chopped)
Ginger - 1/2 inch sized (Finely chopped)
Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1-1/2 tablespoons
Fennel seeds - 1 teaspoon
Garam masala - 1-1/2 teaspoons
Water - 1-1/4 cups
Oil - 3 tablespoons
Salt - as needed
- Heat oil, add fennel seeds, ginger and garlic to release its smell.
- Add onions-let it cook till they are transparent and slightly brown.
- Add Chilli powder, Coriander powder and saute to let its raw smell go away.
- Add tomato and cook till they are soft.
- Add cleaned and washed Chicken with salt, saute until meat turns to white colour(half cook). keep the lid closed for fast cooking.
- Add water with garam masala and allow to boil on medium flame or until chicken is well cooked.
- The gravy will get thicker as it cools down. you can serve chicken thokku for roti/dosa/rice too.