I wanted to serve a cake for my hubby on Valentine's day but wanted it to make it special with my own measurements for the bake. Kept praying I shouldn't spoil the cake on the special day but after tasting the outcome, well.. I couldn't feel prouder .. !! I dedicated Rock Truffles to my little bundle of joy and this Truffle Cake is for my 'Big bundle of joy' - my Better half.
Wonder why the name Truffle cake? Just because I used chocolate inside the cake and topped it with truffle mix.
For the Cake:
All-Purpose Flour - 3/4 cup
Cooking Chocolate - 1/4 cup (when grated)
Butter - 1 cup (unsalted and bring to room temperature)
Powdered Sugar - 1 cup
Egg - 5 no's
Cocoa powder - 1 tablespoon
Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Baking soda - 1/2 teaspoon(completely optional)
Vanilla essence - 1 teaspoon
Milk - 1/8 cup(luke warm)
For making Truffle sauce:
Cooking chocolate - 2/3 cup(when grated)
Whipping cream - 1/2 cup
Butter - 2 tablespoons (unsalted)
- Take a bowl, Mix All-purpose flour,Cocoa powder,Baking powder,Baking soda and keep aside.
- Take another bowl, Beat Butter,Sugar and Vanilla essence to soft texture.
- Add beaten egg little by little to the butter-sugar paste and beat well.
- Now add the flour mixture little by little, beat well.Add the milk and beat for a minute.
- Divide the batter to two portions - 3/4 portion and 1/4 portion.
- Melt the chocolate using microwave (for 30 seconds) and mix that with the 1/4th batter portion.
- Pre-heat the conventional oven to 350'F for 10 minutes. Grease your cake pan with the butter paper(as not to waste the butter in it), dust it and keep it ready.
- Now into the pan, pour a layer of non-chocolate batter first then go with chocolate batter and finally again with the non-chocolate batter.(This is not going to give me layer cake but it helps in giving the richness of chocolate in the center part).
- Allow the cake to bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the wood stick comes clear when you poke in the middle of the cake. it took exactly 43 minutes in my case.
- Cool the cake on the cooling rack, mean time prepare the truffle sauce.
- Grind the chocolate to powder / grate the chocolate. Heat butter and cream in a sauce pan, switch off when it starts to boil and add the cream mixture to the grated chocolate. mix well to smooth and spread it on the cake(i forgot to take the picture while spreading chocolate on the cake).
- Truffle cake is ready to serve the plates.
- It is very important to beat sugar,butter and vanilla essence to soft texture. This plays a major role in giving the cake spongy texture.
- I used the Hand mixer at speed 2.
- After removing from the oven allow the cake to rest in the baking tray only for 10 minutes. move the cake to cooling rack after that.
- Allow the cake to cool down completely. pour the truffle sauce only after that.
- Prepare the Truffle sauce when you are ready to pour on the cake as it gets thicker if it sits outside for long time.