One dish I love for chappathi is Matar masala. It is so simple and fresh. We can taste the peas flavor when this recipe is prepared and that is one reason I love cooking this for my hubby's lunch. This masala goes well with rice/chappathi. Spicy and tangy taste that makes you lick your fingers. In india its absolutely seasonal to buy peas but here frozen peas are my best friend. They are always inside my freezer smiling when I'm stuck with the question "What's for P's lunch tomorrow?".
Green peas - 1-1/2 cups
Onion - 1 cup (Finely chopped)
Tomato - 1/2 cup (Finely chopped)
Green chilli - 1 no
Garlic pods - 2 no's
Ginger - 1/2 inch sized
Chilli powder - 1-1/2 teaspoons
Coriander powder - 2-1/2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Water - 1/2 cup
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Salt - as needed
- Heat oil in a pan, add green chilli, ginger, garlic(everything finely chopped) and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add onions with required salt and saute well till they turn golden brown.
- Add tomatoes,saute them until they are soft and cooked.
- Add chilli powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder,garam masala and saute till the oil oozes out(raw smell goes away).
- Add green peas and water. mix and cover the pan,allowing the peas to cook well.
- Hot Matar masala is ready to serve along with chappathi/rice.